Saturday, October 9, 2010

While I've been gone

First I want to say I'm sorry to my original follower for being gone so long and a hello to my new minion, David .... I love having followers.
Since I was gone do long I have a few tasty treats today: pumpkin cream cupcakes and Smoked Fettuccine Alfredo. Yummy

Bacon-edo I love to use thick sliced peppered bacon or a smoked applewood flavor, of course use your favorite. Do Not use crappy cheese--- I can't stress this enough, you will be sorry. If you ate going to cook from scratch and take the time, use fresh, high quality ingredients when possible. Here we go....

Bacon-edo
1 pkg fettuccine noodles fresh or dried your choice
4-5 pieces bacon chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1 TBSP flour
1cup milk
2/3 cup grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
1/2 tsp salt
2 TSBP fresh parsley chopped
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
Optional:
I like to also add 1/2 cup chopped yellow pepper, and 1/2 cup chopped onion.  You can also add more cheese-- I like to also add some grated provolone again you are eating it make it how you like it. 

1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain in colander over a bowl and reserve 1/4 cup of the liquid. V
2. While pasta is cooking , cook bacon (and optional veggies If used)over med heat until crisp. Remove from pan reserving drippings. Add garlic to drippings, sauté 1 min, stirring constantly. Sprinkle flour over garlic; cook 30 secs stirring constantly. Add milk stirring constantly ; cook 2 min or until bubbly and slightly thick. Reduce hear to low. Gradually add cheese , stirring until cheese melts.  Stir in salt and reserved 1/4 cup pasta liquid.  Add hot pasta to pan (and veggies if those are being used);toss well to combine.  Sprinkle with bacon, parsley and pepper.  Yield 4 1cup servings-- 339 calories and 11.7 grams of fat, but well worth it!!!


Next is a great muffin for breakfast or after dinner dessert.
Pumpkin cream cupcakes
1 pkg 2 layer size spice cake mix
1 pkg 3.4 oz vanilla instant pudding
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 pkg Philadelphia cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg

Heat oven to 350
Prepare cake batter as directed on package.  (ps-- you could also  use a chocolate cake, or carrot cake, even yellow-- all would be good  I think)  Add dry pudding mix and pumpkin; mix well.  Spoon into 24 paper lined muffin cups.

Beat cream cheese with mixer until creamy.  Blend in sugar and egg.  Spoon over batter.  Swirl gently with small spoon.

Bake 18 - 21 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.  Cool 5 min. remove to wire racks.  Cool completely. 

I noticed in the coupon section in last weeks paper that they now make a new muffin cup in really cool colors and patterns that keep their color after it's been baked.  If you currently use the old school pink, blue and yellow cups you know that they suck and look bad.   They should be in the baking aisle of the store. 

Hope you enjoy these two items-- I found them to be really good.  Don't forget to add your own twist and favorite ingredients--- spinach noodles are also great with the white sauce.  I have church, a family visitation and a wedding to go to tomorrow so I can promise there will be no blog tomorrow.  I will try to have at least 3 this coming week.  I have found a bunch of great recipes that I used to make and can't wait to share them. 

until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment